Reading Time: 3 minutes
In this post we share photos of our first experience growing and harvesting pumpkins.
We learned a few key things ahead as we researched planting and tending to pumpkins for the first time:
- Planting dates: Pumpkins are mostly planted in May or June and harvested in late October; some types can be planted in April.
- Time to maturation: This fruit typically 90-120 days after first emergence from flower.
- Soils: Pumpkins can grow in a wide range (clay, raised beds, sand, wetter soil surfaces) but each carry different care and fertilization + irrigation considerations.
- Irrigation: Drip irrigation is most commonly used with pumpkins; overwatering can cause root and stem rot.
- Sun exposure: Pumpkins like full sun.
- USDA Hardiness Zones: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Leave a Reply