This is a list of activity recommendations for a day in Los Gatos, California, USA.
In This Post
About Los Gatos
Los Gatos is 60 miles south of San Francisco, situated at the base of the Sierra Azules Mountains. Since its incorporation in the 1870s, Los Gatos has transformed from “wheat farming, milling, logging, orchard, and cannery businesses in the 19th and early 20th centuries” to a place that is “tied to Silicon Valley” (Town of Los Gatos General Plan, 2021). Today the town’s charming, romantic downtown area attracts visitors looking for a slower pace within the context of bustling technology scene.
- Los Gatos, California, USA
- Travel to Los Gatos from San Jose or San Francisco International Airports
- Los Gatos serves as a gateway to many of California’s delights: Santa Cruz wine country, old growth redwood forests and the west coast (Santa Cruz and beyond)
Connect this itinerary
- Early Morning Walk in Santa Cruz, California
- Natural Bridges Beach & Monarch Butterfly Natural Preserve, Santa Cruz, California
- An Afternoon in Capitola, California
This walk brings you through the downtown commercial district, Old Town Los Gatos, and the University/Edelen Historic District of Victorian and Craftsman/Bungalow style homes. Significant historical structures include the Harry Perrin Home (315 University Ave.), Miles House (130 Edelen Ave.) and Skinkle House (129 Edelen Ave.).
Additional reading: Los Gatos Historical Homes (Town of Los Gatos, California, 2021)
Los Gatos Favorites
- Hotel Los Gatos
- Toll House
- Los Gatos Roasting Company – Craft coffee
- Centonove – Italian
- Andale Mexican – Lunch & margaritas
- The Pasteria & Market – Italian
- Sweet Peas – Crêperie & sandwiches
- Oak & Rye – Wood fired pizza
- Dio Deka – Fine dining Greek
- Asa Los Gatos – American dining with Spanish & Italian influence
- Enoteca La Storia
- Testarossa Winery
- Icing on the Cake – Pastries; vegan & gluten-free options
- Fleur de Cocoa – Patesserie
Old Town Los Gatos
Testarossa is the fourth oldest continuously operating winery in California, located on the site of the historic Noviate Winery built in 1888. Jesuits used the site to make church wines.
“The old stone cellars and beautiful grounds…provide an amazing venue for private events” (Testarossa, 2021). Try their Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
Los Gatos/Santa Cruz Wineries
We plan to share a comprehensive write up of our favorite Santa Cruz Mountains wineries, including:
- Burrell School Vineyards & Winery
- Byington Vineyard and Winery
- David Bruce Winery
- Left Bend Winery
- Loma Prieta Winery
- MJA Vineyards
- Regale Winery & Vineyards
- Silver Mountain Vineyards
- Villa del Monte Winery
From the park’s main parking lot on 15451 Skyline Boulevard (Highway 35) brings visitors to 34 miles of extensive trails that connect the Santa Clara and San Lorenzo valleys to nearby Big Basin Redwoods State Park.
Pingback: USA Travel: An Afternoon in Capitola, California – Engaged Abroad on May 4, 2021
Pingback: USA Travel: Early Morning Walk in Santa Cruz, California – Engaged Abroad on May 4, 2021
Pingback: USA Travel: Monterey, California – Activity Recommendations – Engaged Abroad on May 4, 2021