In this post we share photos from Ueno Park & Ameyoko Shopping District, Ueno, Tokyo, Japan.
- Ueno Park, Ueno, Tokyo, Japan
- Address: 〒110-0007 東京都台東区上野公園
- By train from Shinjuku Station: 24 minutes on the JR Yamanote Line to Ueno Station.
- By train from Tokyo Station: Eight minutes on the JR Yamanote Line to Ueno Station.
Ueno Park Highlights
- It is said Ueno Park is the oldest park in Japan
- Beautiful spot during hanami (cherry blossom season) — 1000+ cherry trees line the central walkway
- Museums including:
- The National Museum of Western Art (UNESCO World Heritage designation for Western art, primarily by European artists)
- Shitamachi Museum (exhibits and reconstructions that show what life was like in Tokyo from the late Meiji to early Showa Periods)
- Tokyo National Museum (national treasures and important cultural items in the country)
- National Museum of Nature and Science (science and natural history)
- Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum (all types of art)
- Large boating pond
- A shrine with a pagoda
A note on Ueno Zoo
The two pandas are a major draw to the Ueno Zoo but greater are serious animal welfare concerns (isolation, small enclosures, distressed animals) cause Engaged Abroad to recommend skipping this site.
Walk from JR Train Station to Ueno Zoo
Walk from bottom of Ueno Zoo to Ameyoko Shopping District
Ameyoko Shopping District (adjacent to the park)
This 500-meter long commercial street provides is crowded with shoppers looking to take advantage of low prices on fresh food, cosmetics, clothes, and jewelry.