Reading Time: 4 minutes
In this post we share photos from Yanaka, Tokyo, Japan.
If you’re looking for a reprieve from the fast paced hum of Shinjuku and would like to see a version of Tokyo that harkens to the past, look no further than Yanaka.
Within walking distance to Ueno Park, the shitamachi flair brings visitors to a Tokyo from a previous time. The narrow alleys, traditional wooden houses, atmospheric coffee shops and izakaya pubs make for a a wonderful glimpse into a different side of Tokyo.
- Yanaka, Tokyo, Japan
- Arrive to Nippori Station via the JR Yamanote, Keisei, Keihintōhoku or Jōban lines or Sendagi on the Chiyoda Line
- From Ueno Park, Yanaka Ginza is about a 40 minute walk (at a slow pace)
- Shitamachi; neighborhoods that have been the downtown of Old Edo but haven’t kept pace with the modernization of greater Tokyo, a nostalgia for something in the past
- Narrow back alleys
- Traditional wood houses
- Izakaya (small dishes) pubs
- Zakka (miscellaneous goods shops)
- Craft shops