Reading Time: 3 minutes
In this post we describe how we use a spreadsheet to track accommodation bookings made on various websites. This practice has a number of benefits to make your travels smoother and more enjoyable.
Review how we used Booking.com to find and book accommodations for our long term travels around the world.
Create a spreadsheet on Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, or Apple Numbers.
Add the following columns:
- Number of Nights
- Dates of Stay
- Accommodation Name
- Accommodation Address
- Where the website was made (with hyperlink to the website)
- Total Cost of Stay – Denote the currency
- Cost/Night (Total Stay/Number of Nights) – Denote the currency
- *Transport options from accommodation to airport, bus station or car rental agency
- Links to maps from airport, bus station or car rental agency to your accommodation
Populate the sheet with your booking information.
While step requires some manual input, the benefits of this approach are clear:
- All accommodations listed at-a-glance
- Categories are specific to your travels; not forced into ready-made templates that doesn’t work for your use case
- All accommodation addresses listed in a single location
- Easy to adjust bookings because reservation method/website was tracked; no longer digging through emails and apps for information
- View of costs/accommodation & cost/overall trip
- Sharable with other travelers
- Linkable to external resources