Reading Time: 3 minutes
In this post we describe how we used Booking.com to help plan our accommodation choices during our 18 month trip around the world.
We describe why we selected Booking.com as our primary search platform, our accommodation selection criteria and how we kept track of our bookings.
We leveraged Booking.com during our long-term travels as our first place to search for accommodation options.
Why did we choose Booking.com?
- Easy-to-use search interface
- Most bookings are free to make and update
- Dashboard of all bookings made across the website
- In-app messaging center to get in touch directly with properties
- Variety of property types – hotels, (serviced) apartments, resorts, villas, cabins, cottages, glamping, vacation homes, guest houses, hostels, motels, ryokens, riads, B&Bs, homestays, agriturismos
- Excellent Booking.com customer and platform service
Booking.com offers additional services:
- Rewards programs for “Genius” members
- 10% and 15% discounts at select properties
- Free breakfast on select options
- Free room upgrade on select options
- Additional booking services for flights, car rentals, attractions and taxis
- [USA specific] Booking.com has an agreement with other merchants and credit card companies to get bonus points for making purchases
Create a Booking.com account. One is required to use the platform, but we recommend one to keep track of bookings.
Enter in initial search parameters: destination, travel dates and number of travelers.
Filter based by “Review Score & Price.”
Click into the map view, and further filter the following fields:
- Denote Property Type
- Free Cancellation
- No Pre-Payment Needed
- Budget: $0-50/night, $50-110/night
- Rating: Very Good 8+
- Guests Favorite Area or City Center
Select a listing.
Review the property’s amenities and the terms and conditions.
We recommend looking for accommodations that offer:
- 24/7 Front Desk
- Free Wifi
- Laundry facilities on site (or offered at an additional charge)
Confirm that you understand all additional taxes and fees included with a booking. Common fees that are added in the fine print:
- City taxes
- VAT taxes
- Foreign credit card, debit card or via bank transfer fees
- Cleaning fees
- Sheet rentals
Review the check-in and check-out times so you can plan accordingly.
Choose a room from the options presented and confirm that the booking is free cancellation and no-prepayment needed.
Make the reservation. Keep track of your bookings via the dashboard. If you make bookings with different platforms, use our spreadsheet to keep track of your accommodations.
Pingback: How to Use a Spreadsheet to Track Accommodation Bookings - Engaged Abroad on April 9, 2020